RESOLUTION TO SUPPORT THE SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE
The First Unitarian Church of Honolulu reaffirms its support of the separation of Church and State in the United States and urges its members to:
- Oppose any government taxes to be used to establish, operate or maintain church-related schools;
- Uphold religious neutrality in public education;
- Oppose government envoys being sent to any church;
- Oppose exempting from taxes income derived from church-owned unrelated businesses and investments;
- Urge local governments to be allowed to charge churches for services actually provided to these institutions;
- Support organizations working to preserve and strengthen the separation of church and state.
In the event of greater freedoms or privileges being granted to religious organizations, the First Unitarian Church of Honolulu affirms its right and responsibility to use those freedoms and privileges, as permitted under the law, to expand our services and sustain our church.
Passed: January 22, 1989 Reaffirmed: Nov. 18, 2012 Edited and Proposed: Nov. 6, 2017