7 UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST PRINCIPLES
We affirm and promote:
The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.
THE 8TH PRINCIPLE
Further, the First Unitarian Church of Honolulu voted at its annual meeting in May 2017 to adopt this 8th Principle:
“We covenant to affirm and promote: journeying toward spiritual wholeness
by working to build a diverse multicultural Beloved Community by our actions that
accountably dismantle racism and other oppressions in ourselves and our institutions.”
We draw from many sources:
- Direct experience of that transcending mystery and wonder, affirmed in all cultures, which moves us to a renewal of the spirit and an openness to the forces which create and uphold life;
- Words and deeds of prophetic women and men which challenge us to confront powers and structures of evil with justice, compassion, and the transforming power of love;
- Wisdom from the world’s religions which inspires us in our ethical and spiritual life;
- Jewish and Christian teachings which call us to respond to God’s love by loving our neighbors as ourselves;
- Humanist teachings which counsel us to heed the guidance of reason and the results of science, and warn us against idolatries of the mind and spirit;
- Spiritual teachings of earth-centered traditions which celebrate the sacred circle of life and instruct us to live in harmony with the rhythms of nature.
FIRST UNITARIAN CHURCH OF HONOLULU
We are a Unitarian Universalist community, inspired by our Principles, boldly growing compassion, justice, and joy.
Our Vision is to be a self-sustaining, growing, vibrant, inclusive community serving as a beacon of religious freedom and expression.
COVENANT OF RIGHT RELATIONS:
We, the Congregation of the First Unitarian Church of Honolulu, in order to create unity among diversity and promote spiritual growth, covenant to:
- Realize and acknowledge the impact we have on others and be accountable for repairing microaggressions and other hurtful actions when they occur. When our impact is hurtful in a group setting, we repair publicly.
- Create openness by actively listening and check assumptions by asking questions and verifying facts.
- Honor our time commitments to each other.
- Use the democratic process whenever possible to create trust and inclusion.
- Know and follow the existing policies and bylaws of the Church.
- Create mutual trust by communicating privately and promptly with each other to resolve problems; refrain from speaking ill of another.
- When in disagreement or conflict with each other, take a deep breath(!), speak respectfully and stay relaxed; avoid labeling, judging, or criticizing.
- Have the courage to call “time out” during meetings or conversations to restore right relations
- As a last resort, we may seek assistance from a trusted member of the Shared Ministry Team if we feel we cannot resolve a problem on our own.
- Express our appreciation frequently for the amazing contributions of our church members, leaders, and professionals.
Through honoring this Covenant, we commit to growing Compassion, Justice, and Joy within ourselves, our congregation and our community.